Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Making Your Home a Haven Challenge: Day 3

Getting an earlier start to posting today because a combination of the first snow of the season (3 inches!) and having to stay at work very late today means I can at least go in later than normal.

On to Crystal's challenge for today.

1) Refresh Your Spirit (5 minutes)

As we've been doing all week, take a few moments to sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and quiet your heart before the Lord. Pray, read Scripture, and just encourage your heart in the Lord. Ask Him to love through you today.

If you have a chance, I encourage you to think of three things you are thankful for. Write them down and express gratitude to the Lord. Focus on the blessings in your life, not on the things you wish you could change. Choose to bloom where God has planted you! An attitude of gratitude will go a long way in making your home a haven!

I'd love for you to post three things you are thankful for.


As soon as I go downstairs, I'll have my morning devotional time which always includes a cup of tea and whatever devotional(s) I may be reading as well as some scripture time. I'm still in Genesis but I'm getting close to the end. Since I don't have to leave in such a hurry today I'll actually be able to finish my tea at my kitchen table rather than finishing it in the car.

Things I'm Thankful For:
  • My great husband. He is super supporting and encouraging.
  • That I'm off the medication that was making me feel so ill all last week
  • That I have a really good mother-in-law. She goes back home today after a brief visit but I know I am very fortunate to have her as my husband's mom. I've got some friends who have difficult situations with their m-i-ls so I know I'm blessed.
2) Take Time to Plan (5 minutes)

In addition to writing out a short to-do list numbered in order of importance today like we did yesterday, I encourage you to plan what you are having for dinner. Make it your aim to have dinner completely made or almost completely made by lunch time. This will make for a much more peaceful afternoon and evening.

Share your to-do list today, if you have a chance. Also, what's on your menu for dinner?

Today's to-dos are very short, since I won't be home until 9:30 or so tonight. This also means that I won't be having dinner at home, but instead will be eating (if I have time) at the work event I'll be attending. L will either have leftovers or a sandwich I'm sure.

  1. Morning routine

  2. Buy sympathy card

  3. Work

  4. Return library book

  5. Spend time with L

  6. Clean up kitchen

  7. Get everything ready for tomorrow morning

  8. 10 minutes on laundry area

  9. Go to bed on time - long day tomorrow


3) Do Something! (15 minutes or so)

Today we're going to focus on the laundry and laundry room. Light a candle, put on your apron, turn on some uplifting music, and get busy!

Your goal by the end of today is to have all of your laundry finished, folded, and put away. I'm really behind in this area right now since I never got caught up from our Thanksgiving trip and then Kathrynne had the stomach flu a few days ago so I know it is going to take me longer than 15 minutes to finish, but I plan to stick with it until it is done! Hopefully you are more on top of things than me so it doesn't take you all morning like it might very well take me.

For those of you with a laundry room or laundry area, take some time to organize and clean up this area. Wipe down your washer and dryer, check for socks and other articles of clothing behind and on the sides of your washer and dryer, and clean out your dryer lint.

If you're brave, post some before and after pictures of your laundry piles and laundry-room makeovers. I'm not sure I can fit all of my incredibly massive Mt. Neverest in one picture - yes, it's that bad! I can't wait until it is done and put away. And then hopefully I'll stay on top of it from here on out - at least until the next trip or stomach flu incident!

No pictures here, but I actually am caught up on laundry. It's not too challenging with only two people in the house, so I realize that I have it pretty easy right now.

I can spend a little time tidying my laundry closet. The tops of the machines have gotten cluttered so this is a good chance to straighten them.

Updates later as I have more to report.

Update 1: Morning routine done and devotional time finished. Not quite as good as sometimes, because both my husband and mother-in-law were in the next room talking and she has a very boistrous laugh. :) That's ok though; usually the house is so quiet when I'm having my morning time that I kind of liked hearing activity nearby. And now I'm finally leaving for work. Only 3 hours later than my normal time, but since I have to stay over 5 hours later than normal somehow I'm still not getting the best side of this deal.

Update 2: I'm finally home and it's not quite 9:30. However, I am exhausted and have to be at work tomorrow by 7:30 and won't be home again until 9:30 again. I don't think I'm even going to spend 10 minute in my laundry area today because I'm so tired. I think I'm just going to head for bed. Everything else from my list above is done however. :)

No comments: