Thursday, February 28, 2008

This Makes No Sense To Me

Since L is out of town this week, I figured that would mean I'd have extra time to get stuff done around the house; after all, I would have that evening time I usually spend with him now open and available for other projects.

You can guess where this is going, can't you?

Monday I got a HUGE amount done with cleaning the bedroom - washed all the bedding, thoroughly vacuumed everything but the curtains. It took a lot of effort, and kept me up way past my bedtime but I was thrilled to have the bedroom so close to being completely finished. I also did some prep work for dinner Tuesday, and even read some while waiting for my sheets to dry so I could make the bed and go to sleep.

Tuesday I got some work down in the kitchen, and managed to fix myself dinner and clean up fairly well after dinner. I won't call it a thorough cleaning, but it wasn't bad. But the next thing I knew it was 11:00 and I really wanted to be in bed by 10 since I was so tired from the night before. I didn't spent much time on the computer, I read a little bit but nothing extreme. The hours between 8 & 11 vanished.

Wednesday was another vanishing evening - I did my usual routine until 7:30 but then the next thing I knew it was 10:30 and I needed to be in bed already, and nothing really to show for it.

What is going on? Is it because L isn't around to give more structure to my evening? I honestly don't know, but tonight I'm going to find my timer and set it to go off every 30 minutes to alert me to the passing of time and also to make me aware of what I'm doing (or not doing).

I do have some progress to show for my days - the bedroom is looking really good, all the bedding from our recent house guests is washed and folded and mostly put away (two more trips upstairs should do it) and that was a mountain of bedding (3 visitors + a fairly cold house + lots of sickness = a pile of blankets to wash). My kitchen is also almost sparkling after a lot of effort Wednesday (the sad state of the floors means I can't call it sparkling), my dining room table is again visible, and about half of the downstairs is even dusted. So why do I feel like I've done so little and could have done so much more with my time?

No comments: