Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Self-Discipline Improvement Scheme

In my never-ending quest to increase my self-discipline, I've been concentrating on my daily routine. Because I'm a bit (ok, more than just a bit) of an Excel geek, I made a daily worksheet with areas for my top priorities, schedule, dinner plans, etc. So far I've done a good job of filling it out each night with my plans and schedule for the next day, and also of looking at it during the day and seeing what I can accomplish towards my goals.

What I've found really helpful with it is the conscious planning the night before to make sure that I have a task each day that goes toward one of my top goals; it keeps me from filling the list with trivial things that may be important in some ways (clean dishes are nice), but aren't so important in the long-term. So prayer is always first on my list, followed by reading my Bible.

The other part of the form I've found really helpful is the space I left for the scripture I'm trying to memorize. It's right at the top, and between rewriting it each night, and reading over it carefully every time it catches my eye when I look at the list, it's been an easy way to make some scripture memory progress. Because I am still working on that, even if I have stopped posting my week's scripture. I need to start doing that again.

I'm mentioning this whole scheme in the hope that it will help keep me from letting it drop to the wayside in a few weeks when the novelty is gone.

No comments: