Friday, July 18, 2008

Jury Duty

So I had jury duty today. I can't remember if I've mentioned that I was summoned to it or not, and I'm too lazy to look through my old posts.

I received the notice a month ago, but have been holding out hope that when I would call the night before the message would say that I didn't need to appear. No such luck. What makes it more complicated is that until today I had no idea how long it would last too - I spent yesterday wrapping things up at work as if I'd be out a week, while at the same time I might have been right back in the next morning.

I can't really complain however; the courthouse is only about 6 miles from my house, so it's closer than work is; they provide a parking voucher, and work doesn't make me use up vacation days while I serve, so I realize just how much worse it could be.

Still though, it made for a more stressful morning; I had to figure out where to park, and where to enter the building, and where to go in the building, etc, etc. Anything outside of my routine makes for a more stressful morning for me so there was that. Now I've got it down, so I'm all set for the future. County courts at least. ;)

What's funny to me is that I *know* my name was pulled from voter rolls (I suppose it's possible that it came from the drivers license registration, but I'm convinced it came from voter registration), and I only registered for the first time ever last year. So I've been summoned for jury duty before I've even cast my first vote.

Yes, I just admitted that I have never voted before. Not even in the contentious primary season this year, because in all honestly, it wasn't exactly competitive here. Neither were any of the local races, so I just didn't bother. I promise I will in the fall though!

So how was the jury duty itself? Well you'll just have to wait for another post.

No comments: