Wednesday, March 11, 2009

On Night-Owl-ness and Self-Discipline

What I find very frustrating about myself is that I am so naturally a night-owl, and I'm trying desperately to turn myself into an early-bird. My goal used to be to get up for work at 5:15, and have time to read the Bible and pray in addition to getting ready for work. Then leave for work at 6:30 so I'm at work shortly after 7:00 (or in the parking lot at least; it's another 10 minutes minimum to walk from my car through the parking area into the building and finally make it to my desk. 15 minutes if I've chosen my shoes poorly that morning).

This worked well enough, but the weekends just kill me - I so easily slip back into staying up too late, and I can't get up in the morning, so on Saturday and Sunday I sleep in, then I'm not tired to go to bed, then I stay up way too late on Sunday and Monday I really can't get up on time.

Let's not even talk about how Sunday and Monday night football or baseball games mess with my schedule. If for no other reason than evening sports on TV, I wish I was in the Pacific or Mountain time zone instead of Eastern.

And none of this even takes into account what happened when morning sickness struck with a vengeance and I so quickly had to shift my work schedule to accommodate the daily vomiting sessions. I'm doing much better with that, but I haven't been able to get back to my previous schedule. Hence the "used to be" above. I haven't thrown up in the morning in a couple of weeks, but I haven't been able to get back to getting up before 7:30 at the earliest!

Self-discipline has never been one of my strengths and I think this is just one aspect of it. And I'm about to the point of making it a priority to work on this; I've got to get better control over myself and stop slipping into the bad habit of staying up too late because it just messes up my entire week.

No comments: