Friday, November 16, 2007

This Week in Books

Not much competition to be included this week, since I only finished three books all week.

Irene Spencer
Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist’s Wife: A Memoir
Somewhat hard to read because of the difficult life she had - living in abject poverty as the second wife (of an eventual total of ten wives). Somewhat repetitive (she's jealous! she doesn't see him enough! they have no money!) overall it is a compelling read.







Sue Ray
And Now For the Good News... A Mega-Dose of Positive News to Inform, Inspire, and Fill You With Optimism.
I wanted to like this much more than I did. I skimmed this so heavily, finding the stories not really what I was expecting, and not at all leaving me filled with optimism.








Jennifer Lee Carrell
Interred with Their Bones
Amazon reviews are comparing it to the DaVinci Code. Since I never read that book, I can't speak to their similarities, but it reminded me of the feel of The Historian. The scholar finding something that leads to a search across continents while being chased by a killer. That brief synopsis does no justice whatsoever to the story however, which is filled with detailed Shakespeare trivia. Not being a Shakespeare buff, I have no idea how correct her claims are, but the story worked for me. What I didn't like is a general novel pet peeve - the extremely wealthy protagonist (or friend) who enables the protagonist to never have to worry about funds. Need to hop a plane to fly across the Atlantic? Here's your first class ticket. And a suitcase fill of new, expensive clothes for you since you had no time to pack. And on and on it goes.

No comments: