Friday, November 2, 2007

This Week in Books

Jane & Michael Stern's Roadfood Sandwiches: Recipes and Lore from Our Favorite Shops Coast to Coast

I loved this book, although it would have been even better if it had had pictures. Sadly, the only picture is the one on the cover. While I doubt I'd ever make any of the sandwiches described, I loved reading the stories behind them, and got some ideas for places to visit, both in my home town & while traveling.





Nancy Leigh DeMoss' Choosing Forgiveness: Your Journey to Freedom

This was a much quicker read than I'd expected, and I really appreciated how the author stressed that there were no quick fixes, or guarantees of what would happen, but still emphasized how essential it is for Christians to forgive (and ask for forgiveness). Although the book is back at the library, I'm still reflecting on things it brought to mind.







Molly O'Neill's Mostly True: A Memoir of Family, Food, and Baseball

A well-written & enjoyable memoir by a former columnist of the New York Times. Until reading the book, I hadn't realized that Molly is the older sister of former MLB player Paul O'Neill. I shared a number of the "Paulie" stories from the book with my baseball-loving husband who really appreciated him. The book really is good for anyone who likes family stories, food stories or baseball stories - it's full of all three.

No comments: