Friday, November 9, 2007

This Week in Books

Not the best week; I seemed to stall quite a bit and not finish very many.


Underhill, Paco
Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping.
Fascinating look at the behind-the-scenes of the retail industry. I can't imagine doing the work his company does (hours of observing shoppers or store footage) but the conclusions are really intriguing with entertaining anecdotes. The book was written before the boom in online shopping, so I'd love to read an updated version that analyzes web retailers (that chapter was woefully outdated). I think I'm going to look for his other book, about the geography of shopping.



Ferguson, Alane
The Christopher Killer.
A young adult mystery, although it wasn't cataloged as one by my local library, and not a very good one. Gaping plot holes, inconsistent characterizations, and an obvious killer. I am not making any effort to find additional books by the author. Very disappointing. At least it was a quick read.






Farran, Susan
The Fireman’s Wife: A Memoir.
I've read a number of memoirs / autobiographies / biographies of firefighters, but this is the first one written by the spouse of the firefighter that I've read, and I really enjoyed the different perspective. The narrative flowed well, and my only real complaint was with the heavy-handed foreshadowing of her husband's serious accident while working. Still, for the most part I enjoyed it.

No comments: