Friday, May 30, 2008

Not Ready for Summer

My favorite season is Fall - I love the weather turning cooler, leaves changing colors and I think all my years in an educational setting have made it so fall is just as much of a fresh-start time of year to me as January is.

I like Winter too, much more than I ever expected I would when I moved to the cold Midwest after always living in Southern states. Cold temperatures just make it perfect baking weather and a good excuse to curl up on the couch with a book. I love December with the decorating and preparations and oh yeah, my anniversary is mixed in there too and that's nice.

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like Spring - what's not to like about the world waking up after the winter rest - my yard has tulips and daffodils and my drive to work is brightened with lots of trees that bud and flowers that bloom. And my birthday is in the Spring and so of course I like that.

Then there's Summer. I already mentioned living in Southern states, and I do mean Southern states with all the heat and humidity and even dry heat that that entails. I've lived in swampy heat-states and a desert-heat state so I have plenty of experience with summer. I think that's why now that I've gotten away from it I want nothing more to do with it - I feel like I've done my time, and never again want to broil walking to my car. Several of my coworkers love the heat and always go eat lunch outside and I tell them they are crazy and I've had enough hot weather to last me the rest of my life. During August I fantasize of moving to Alaska.

All of this is background to why the start of Summer often depresses me a tad - even though I live much farther north than ever before, it still gets hot here (and humid) and we'll have our share of 90+ degree days. I find myself counting the months, looking forward to October. This year seems even tougher on me because Spring has been so short - Winter was very long and then it feels like we're right into Summer. Today it's over 80 and the weekend is forecast to be even hotter.

I just have to say, I am so thankful for air conditioning.

No comments: