Monday, August 3, 2009

Getting it Together

So the baby is a little over 3 weeks old, and we've been home not quite 2 weeks. We've had both sets of grandparents visit, but they've all gone back to their homes now. We're on our own.

And so far it's ok. G is such a good baby - he doesn't cry that much. Tears are mostly reserved for times of extreme hunger. And ok, for him any hunger is extreme, but hey, he's a big boy & has to keep fueled. Tears also frequently accompany diaper changes because apparently those are EEEEEVVVVVVIIIIILLLLLL. The real fury is reserved for the most hated event of all - bath time! He SCREAMS in rage when I have the nerve to bathe him. Unsurprisingly, I bathe him as infrequently as possible because I hate doing something that gets him into such a temper. I'm hoping he'll grow to love bath time, or else there will be a lot of screaming in our future.

Breastfeeding is improving; I went almost a week without having to give him any formula supplement, and if it wasn't for our first outing over the weekend, and a lengthy doctor's appointment for me today, I think we'd still be continuing our formula-free streak. I just couldn't pump enough before my appointment, so I was pretty sure he'd be hungry before my return and my little bottle wouldn't last him. And I ended up giving him a bottle as we drove home from our outing; I don't think he'd gotten as much food as normal throughout the day as we were at the relative's house, and then our long drive home had him in a fit. Hopefully we'll get better at eating away from home soon. He still usually refuses to eat unless I'm using a shield so I hope to get him weaned off of that soon.

I managed to cook dinner tonight for the first time in a LONG time. I picked the menu carefully; it required no last minute work from me and was a very simple one to put together. The bonus was it was cheap, healthy and very tasty too! I love finding new recipes that are great. I'll share the recipe eventually.

2 comments:

Giggles said...

OH, sounds wonderful!

Jennifer said...

Yay! Thank you for updating us! I've been dying to know how you and G are doing. I'm coming alone next time so I can hold the kid!