Monday, July 6, 2009

Week Forty

And this will hopefully be my last post before baby. Even though I'm currently into week forty-one, I think I'll just skip ahead to the birth post.

So! Week forty was filled with adventure and excitement. Or not. Actually it was filled with sitting on the couch, frequent visits to the bathroom, and two doctor's visits which entailed sitting in a chair (for much longer than the 20 minutes they always claimed it would be) while trying to keep the baby heart rate monitor registering his heart rate. Which meant that I had to hold the monitor down at the right angle, and occasionally chase the little guy as he moved enough to no longer be registering. But it was fun hearing his lovely heart beat.

Oh, and cervix checks each visit too because those are so much fun too. Especially when it ends up being no change at all. Woo-hoo! I'm 1 cm dilated and have been for over a week! I'll be at 10 cm before I know it!

I'm really not as cranky as that previous paragraph may make me sound. I just kind of wish I could have skipped several of those earlier cervix checks since it's not like anything is happening and they're not really comfortable if you know what I mean.

Besides the doctor's visits Monday and Thursday, I've basically been on the couch. When I'm not in bed that is, but that's only for sleeping because it's not as comfortable for me as the couch is.

May I just say how much I appreciate my laptop during this? It's been awesome, because daytime TV is dreadful. And I love being able to (usually) watch baseball games over the computer thanks to L's subscription (which is technically thanks to my parents, because that's been their birthday gift to L for I forget how many years it's been.)

I've had occasional contractions, but I'm certainly not in labor yet. I have not quite 24 more hours to start on my own before they'll begin induction proceedings, so I'm thinking this baby will have to be forced out.

We're due to show up at the hospital tomorrow at 6 PM. Depending on the state of my cervix they may do several more doses of gel, or they may go straight to pitocin, or they may break my water. I won't know until then. What I do know is that they won't let me go home this time without having delivered the baby.

So unless I get really inspired tomorrow, I probably won't post again until after he's arrived. I won't have my laptop in the hospital, but I may see if I can text an update via twitter or something.

Yeah, we're excited. :)


Giggles said...

Hope tomorrow is the day!

Renee said...

Thank you! It'll definitely be the day it gets started anyway. :)

susan said...

Good luck! Keep me informed!

Kate said...

Congratulations on the birth of Garrett!! I do hope all is well for you all. You're in my thoughts.

Renee said...

Thanks Kate! We're just glad to have it behind us and be home finally. :)