Thursday, July 2, 2009

Update (but no real news)

You'd think I'd have been posting a lot, considering that I've had nothing else to do but sit on the couch since last week. But I haven't been up for writing that nothing is going on, other than me sitting on the couch.

I've been home from the hospital since last Thursday. I had a doctor's appointment on Friday, and then another on Monday. I've got still another one at 9:00 today (we'll see if I get this posted before I need to get ready to leave for the appointment). In between appointments, I've been on the couch. Notice a theme here?

My blood pressure has been good; it was slightly high when I first got to the doctor's office Friday, but when they retested it after I'd been sitting/lying on the table it was fine. On Monday I got smart and made sure to arrive at the office early so that I'd have time to rest in the waiting room instead of going straight from the long walk from my car to having my bp tested. What do you know, it worked; my bp was 128/82 on Monday, my best showing in awhile.

The baby continues to test well on the non stress tests (NST). He's doing so well it's hard to get him to cooperate and stay in the same spot so the heart rate monitor can get a continuous reading. I'll have another one of those tests this morning. They're probably the easiest test of the whole pregnancy. Sit in a comfy chair with a monitor on my enormous belly and listen to my baby's heartbeat. I can handle that.

After the NST test I'll meet with my doctor again to see what she says. Assuming everything still looks good, I'll come home and get back on the couch.

We do have a firm deadline: if the kid hasn't made his appearance before then, I am to appear at the hospital at 6:00 PM Tuesday the 7th. I'll have another dose or two or three of the gel, then bright and early the next morning they'll start pitocin. One way or another he will be evicted, so he'd probably arrive on the 8th. I suppose if I was slow but steady it might not be until the early hours of the 9th, but most likely it'd be the 8th.

This assumes that he doesn't decide to show up on his own, which he is more than welcome to do. I mean, I don't have any other plans for the weekend, so come on son, let's get acquainted!

I don't think I mentioned that on Friday they did another ultrasound, to make sure there was enough fluid around the baby. There was, but what I enjoyed (besides just getting to see him again) was the fact that they could tell that he has hair! I had no idea that that would be visible on an ultrasound, but it could clearly be seen floating around. So amazing!

Also amazing to me is the fact that they estimated his weight at 8 pounds 8 ounces. I did not think he'd be that big. I keep reminding myself that it was just an estimate. An educated guess if you will. No guarantees. (Please hold back on any stories of babies who ended up being significantly larger than the estimates).

There really isn't much else to share. I'm just hanging out, wishing I could be getting stuff done (like cooking or baking; I want some good food!) and bemoaning the sad state of daytime and summer TV. I'm not even reading much because I can't seem to concentrate. Sad, isn't it?


Jennifer said...

I still say he shows up on July 4th!

Giggles said...

Glad things are still going well. Can't wait for him to be here so we can see what he looks like!