Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday: Packing Lists

I'm heading out of town this weekend for almost a week. I don't travel often, but I still like to make it as easy as possible on myself when getting ready for my trips.

Several years ago I developed a packing list after a few trips where I'd forgotten an item or two. Since creating it, I've tweaked it now and then, especially as I've added things to my life (such as an iPod with it's charger, contacts and their needed solution and case, and a husband with all the stuff he ends up wishing he'd brought).

The list is divided into sections, such as clothing, personal care, technology, and fun. L and I each have our own lists too. I've tried to be comprehensive on the lists, so there has never yet been a trip where we've needed EVERYTHING on the list; some seasons just don't need the specific clothing other seasons do, you know? But it's nice to have it all listed, so I can just work my way down the list.

Items on my list include:

Clothing
Jeans
Pants
Shorts
Dresses
Skirts
Sleep shirts or nightgowns
Undies
Bras
Socks
Shoes
Belts
Coats/Jackets

Personal Care
Daily pills & medicine (allergy, vitamins, nasal spray)
Medicine (Tylenol & PM, Sudafed, antacid)
Pads, tampons and/or pantyliners
Bath stuff (bomb, salts, etc.)
Shampoo & conditioner
Body wash
Poof
Lotion
Face lotion
Face wash
Eye cream
Makeup (concealer, foundation, powder, eye shadow, mascara)
Razor
Tweezers
Nail clippers
Q-Tips
Contacts
Contact lens solution
Contact lens case
Shower cap
Hairdryer
Hair scrunchie
Comb
Brush

Technology
Digital camera(s)
Camera cord
Batteries & charger
Phone & charger
iPod & charger & cord

Other
Money
Tickets
Maps
Tour books
National Parks Passport
Passport/ID
Planner
Books
Glasses
Neck pillow
Purse
Jewelry

Please remember, I really don't bring ALL of these things on every trip; I just want them listed so I can think about whether or not I'll need/want them with me.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow... this couldn't have come at a more helpful time! I'm leaving town tonight for 2 weeks... and I was hoping to find some sort of packing list so my fried brain won't have to think of everything!

Grammy said...

Great list. Just a note keep all you meds in original contains with labels. I was lucky to get my with my week supply in 1 bottle. But some one I know was almost arrester for unlabeled meds.

Giggles said...

Great list! I am always forgetting something. Sometimes it doesn't matter but sometimes it does. Like the time I went out of town for 3 days with the hubby and left my power cord for my laptaop at home! Thank goodness he had his laptop so I had something to do while he was at his conference!

Renee said...

@ melissa - glad this could be helpful to you!

@ grammy - good point; I'd read that and know to do so, but didn't think to specify it on the list.

@ giggles - even with the list, sometimes I still manage to forget things. Once it was my bras; of course I was wearing one but I hadn't packed any others. Fortunately I was visiting a friend who lived in a town with a Wal-Mart and I was able to find a couple that fit well enough so I didn't have to try and wash my one and only one out each night and hope it would dry by morning (because it never would have). I'm still not quite sure how I managed to do that...

Thanks for visiting & commenting!